Saturday, April 23, 2011

Evening Walks

I messed with the blog design.  I'm not very stoked about it (aaaah too bright!) although I do think it is more readable now.  I wanted a darker background on the sides, but most looked really bad when I put white or a light color as a background for the text.  I rebelled by putting black on the header.  Such a rebel I am...  Remember that song with the line "chica chica cherry cola"?  I used the cherry cola font in every place but the blog text.  I think it's a kinda cute font! :) And I did updates on the above tabs too. 

Today was the first day it surpassed 60 degrees this year (high of 66 today!).  Actually I think it was the first day it surpassed 50 degrees this year (okay, maybe there was one day it was 51 or 52 degrees in the past few weeks).  I have to say that it was a nice change.  I took a walk this evening using the route I created last summer.  I have walked quite a bit at work during lunch thus far this year, but I dunno - there's something different about walking at work during the daytime on the trails in the woods with chattering teeth because it's 35 degrees vs. walking in a residential area overlooking the water on a relatively warm evening. 

I think that there is some truth to the sentiment that your other senses compensate for your weak sense.  My vision is rather poor, but I can smell or hear the slightest things. I have a crazy ability to differentiate car engines starting up.  I can tell if it's a Honda engine starting without looking at the car, and I can usually tell Honda Civics in particular.  If we're walking along in a parking lot and I hear a Honda engine starting, I'll interrupt whatever I'm talking about and say, "Honda" or "Honda Civic."  My husband usually then tries to find the car that is starting and checks the make of it.  See, I have an ability that more or less compensates for my inability to figure out the salt/pepper thing.  Anyway, I love the smells of a warm night. They overwhelm me with a huge sense of nostalgia.  Some of the smells tonight:

* Freshly cut grass
* Hamburgers on the grill
* Stir fry
* Flowers
* Fresh beauty bark
* Tagro
* Cigarette smoke

I don't smoke.  I held a cigarette once, and it took hours to get the smell off my hands.  My dad smoked, and in small doses cigarette smoke reminds me of him.  After a few minutes, it gets suffocating.  For the first minute, though, it's nostalgic.  The bar smell reminds me of him too.  I don't know what it is about bars - something about the combination of the smell of beer, staleness, and dinginess is pretty awesome...til you can't get the smell out of your clothes and hair.

On a completely random tangent, Lenny Kravitz has the most kissable lips.  I watched his "Again" video to catch a glance of his bare butt (which was blurred out on Youtube...grrrrrrr...it wasn't blurred out on VH-1 a few years ago).  Then I got distracted by his lips.  It's a rare guy who can be sexy despite wearing a feather boa and heels, but somehow that dude can pull it off.

If you celebrate Easter, Happy Easter!  I have a post I'm working on and if I finish it tonight, I'll set to post tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: