Thursday, April 7, 2011

The ebb and flow of blogging

I smell like maple syrup.  I really don't like maple syrup.  I remember that I read something that if you smell like maple syrup, you could have a specific disease.  1) I didn't want to appear to be a hypochondriac by going onto Web MD and trying to figure out what the specific disease was. 2) My husband reminded me that I made maple and brown sugar oatmeal for Julia tonight, and that's likely why I smell like maple syrup.  Oh, thanks.  Really, thanks, because I didn't remember that little detail.  It's not like I ate the oatmeal.  I've washed my hands at least 10 times, and I still smell it.  Remind me to have my husband make the oatmeal from now on because smelling maple syrup for 6 hours straight is kind of nauseating. Or a lot nauseating...I'm not feeling too well.


I had a sentimental thought today as I was reading my blog subscriptions.  People/blogs really change over time.  There are so many blogs that have ceased to exist.  Others have changed their focus.  There was one by a women whose boyfriend was going through chemotherapy, and now that he's cancer-free (yay!) her focus has switched to "pretty things."  I actually liked hearing her thoughts before, and now it's just pictures of pretty things that I don't really care about that much...like clothes and fancy food.  Then there's the very sarcastic blogger who I loved hearing from who now only does recipes.  It's like they both changed, and I didn't change along with them.  Kind of like when a good friend from elementary and you split ways when you move on to junior high with her interested in band while you're interested in sports.  There's a soft spot in my heart for those that have consistently been there and not changed their focus.  It's like we're still trudging along together, even if it is merely in cyberspace. 

As I was going through all of my stuff/junk, I found a few e-mails I wrote to myself 15 years ago.  Back then I did have a physical journal, but I had roommates and I was kind of paranoid (ha ha, some things don't change!).  So I e-mailed myself at n95411__@wwu.edu (gotta love when e-mail first came out that they made you use your student number as your e-mail) the stuff I didn't want people to know I wrote.  It's kind of like I was blogging before blogs even existed.  And then before I left school I printed out some of the e-mails to myself. 

The sad thing is that the person who wrote those angst-filled, confused, frustrated e-mails to herself still deals with that same angst, confusion, and frustration.  I think I'd give myself an "F" on growth in those areas.  In some other respects, I do see a little bit of growth in myself. 

Maybe on a slow blog creativity week, I'll retype them. 

Better get to sleep - night!

No comments: