Sunday, April 17, 2011

How clean is your microwave?

Yesterday I started the day with volunteering at the daycare. They wanted work done in the community garden and a deep cleaning. I started cleaning the kitchen because, well, isn't that the better option when your other options are cleaning the bathroom that 80 kids use or using a woodchipper (visions of chipping a body part accidentally)? 

The microwave there was nasty. I mean, disgusting.  You would think the Health Department would care about the state of the microwave in the kitchen where they cook for 80 kids, right?  I mean, I would...if I was a health inspector. Even as a parent, it completely grossed me out.  Not that I'm immaculate.  If the Health Department did a drop-in inspection on my kitchen, I'm sure I'd rack up a few violations. Plus my microwave isn't all that clean.  On the other hand, I don't claim to feed 80 kids every day. The microwave at the daycare is positioned really high.  I'm 5'5.5", and I had to use a step stool to get up there.  So it is possible that no one can see how nasty it is...

After my two-hour duty was up, came home, napped (two hours of work is a LOT!).  Then Julia and I went shopping - Home Depot and food shopping.  She is at the perfect age where she's a delight to take out to the store. She merely observes things and is pleased as punch to sit in the cart.  She doesn't even say she wants much.  If I say no, she says, "okay." 

Today my mom took Julia for a few hours. The husband and I went to see a movie and went out to linner (late lunch/early dinner).  As I've bemoaned before, we can never agree on a movie.We settled on Scream 4. It was okay.  Since we can never emphatically agree on a movie to see, is it surprising we end up with mediocrity? Came home, I napped.  It's also worth noting that Julia didn't nap on Saturday and Sunday while I had a 2 hour nap each day.

I had to clean the microwave tonight. It wasn't as bad as the daycare microwave, but I felt compelled to not have my microwave outcleaned by the daycare microwave. 

Tomorrow both S and I took off from work. I have a few chores to do (trim paint in Julia's room while she's not there), and of course a nap, and then maybe we can squeeze in something fun. 

No comments: