Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Not quite right

This Saturday the two couples from the parenting class will be coming over for dinner and games.  I'm trying not to stress.  I'm trying not to go into it with preconceived notions either.  Hopefully, it will all go well.

--------

In other contemplations, have you ever thought someone was going through something and things just weren't quite right?  I have this eerie sixth sense about this things, and it seems like I always know that SOMEthing is up with someone based on extremely subtle things, but I always waffle around trying to figure out whether I should say something or just let the person come to me when they want to or feel comfortable.

In one extreme case, I had figured something out in March and waited (very impatiently) until August when the person finally told me.  (Oh yes, that would be YOU, madam baker.)  That was arduous.  But it was the right decision at the time. 

There are those people in the world who I feel I can be a little more assertive with.  It's not necessarily that I have a better relationship with them than I do with other people; it's just that we have a different sort of relationship.  I can be more, "I'm seeing these things, and these make me think ________.  Care to share anything?"  That approach tends to work better with some than others.  But you have to have a pre-existing relationship.

Then there are those people that I get the eerie "something is not quite right" feeling from, but I don't really have much of a pre-existing relationship with them & it feels really, really awkward to approach them seemingly out of the blue to help them or even just being their sounding board.  If I know they would appreciate it, I should probably attempt anyway.  I definitely have to get better about taking that leap and putting myself out there.

6 comments:

Marie Tere said...

So I'm guessing I'm example #1? What's not right with me....I can name a TON of things.....

B said...

Not you...but you might have been the example in 2005.

There are people now though. Makes me wonder what's going on in their lives.

Wendy said...

Hmmm. How many bakers do you know again?

B said...

When you're a baked good addict, you have to know the suppliers!

Fine, I need better code. Green tea cookies would be one person; mama cookies would be someone else. Spritz cookies would be someone else. Cheesecake would be someone else.

Goodness, I have a long list of suppliers!

Wendy said...

Ugh, you forgot my baklava...

B said...

That heavenly, nutty, buttery baklava. You've got me craving that now! You're the baklava supplier instead. Gosh, I'm hungry for something sweet.