Wednesday, October 13, 2010

To niche or not to niche

More and more I've been the toying with the idea of having a public blog.  Oh, this one is public technically, but not many people know about it.  I only let certain people know of its existence.  And there probably would be more people I wouldn't mind seeing most of this, but I wouldn't want them to see all of it.  Ya know what I mean?  It would be nice to choose the scope of audience on here for each post.  That is one thing I liked about Livejournal.  I could make posts private, friends only, or public there.  I don't really have that option here.  A few times I've talked with various acquaintances, and they bring up the topic of blogging in general.  And I just kinda sit there, not saying anything, because I'd either have to tell the truth (and then either change the subject quickly) or lie ("I've never tried blogging") if I chose to say anything.  And I don't really like either option. 

What has been the most frustrating is that I never had a good niche blog idea. Now I'm starting to get to the point where I have a niche blog idea.  This blog would always stay how it is, and it would in no way be connected with the other one.  The new one would be a completely separate entity, and I would choose to generate traffic to that blog.  I certainly appreciate my regular readers here, but I purposefully did not set out to rack up a readership of a bazillion.  Although it does make my heart soar when someone stumbles here on a Google search and then chooses to follow me.  That's kinda nice. 

But I have to ask myself WHY do I want a more public blog?  Is it just to say I can do it?  Is there something more to it?  Do I want to be approached by a company who wants me to be their CEO for $1 million a year based on my fantastic blog?  Heck yeah to the latter option!  :-)  Just kidding... maybe just a little. I think it has to do with having ownership of something, with testing the waters on how different marketing and advertising methods work, with generating something from the ground up and watching it grow, that sort of thing.  I doubt I'd ever make any money off it; I'm sure the time put into it wouldn't go to waste though.

I still have to put more thought to it.

No comments: