Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maybe not quite Cinderella

The first movie I saw in the theater was Cujo.  I was five years old.  My mom took me because she wanted to see it, and she had nowhere else to leave me.  So perhaps that’s the origin of my fear of dogs while in elementary school, or maybe it’s just coincidence.   If my first theatrical viewing had been Cinderella, I might have had a fear of pumpkins and glass slippers instead of potentially rabid dogs.  Who knows.

The first movie that I owned was Footloose.  That was a Christmas gift when I was six years old.  Just like a kid whose first movie was a Disney movie, I’d watch Footloose over and over again.  So much so that I can recite whole scenes from the movie and know when each song will play in each scene.  It started to be a bit much when I started making Footloose analogies.  “It’s like when Lori Singer took Kevin Bacon to look at her poetry and then tried to kill herself when the train came by.”  Ugh, yeah, people would give me those looks like I was crazy.  Well, I was eight years old at the time.  I suppose I should have been watching 101 Dalmatians instead.   I have said that I was left to my own devices 95% of the time when I was growing up.  And the other 5% of the time my mother would drag me to see Cujo.  It’s actually surprising that I’m not in prison. 

My favorite Footloose lines:

-          “Our Lord is testing us.  Every day our Lord is testing us.”  
-          “My daddy HATES these red boots.”
-          “Hey, I like that hat, man.  Do they sell men’s clothes where you got that?”
-          “If you ask me, Ren is a total fox.”
-          “There’s eyes everywhere.”
-          “Let’s dance!”

No comments: