Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's a balmy 58 degrees

Hi!  How are you?  It feels like it's been a while since I've written.  By all appearances, it just looks like I missed one day, but rather I've been posting entries ahead for the last week so I really haven't posted in a week.  Which is an eternity for me. 

I'm trying to become more of a chore task master (or mistress) around the house with myself.  A few weeks ago I came up with a chore list by week that gives some standardization and some flexibility.  It keeps me to task, and I need that because I can get sort of aimless when left to my own devices.  Part of the flexibility this week allowed me to focus on clearing out Julia's old stuff around the house.  One might have thought that looking at the clothes she wore when she was an infant would tug at the ol' heartstrings.  But nope.  Not one tear, a few memories, nothing wistful though.  So one child for me.  On Friday I got quizzed on my childbearing potential, and again I heard the, "You'll change your mind."  Uh huh, sure, please consult my track record for changing my mind. 

I turned on the furnace.  Blah, I hate spending money on heat.  I wish there was some way to preserve the excess heat from the steamy summer in some holding tank and release it when the colder months get here.  It was 54 degrees inside on Sunday morning.  We set the furnace to 58, and when it got to that temperature, Julia took off all her clothes and walked around naked for several hours.  Hmmmm... maybe she got my love of the cold.  I do not like the inside temperature to surpass 65 degrees, and I would never opt to even set the temperature that high into the 60s.  When we first lived together, this created huge thermostat arguments with the husband, who definitely liked his creature comforts.  Now the poor guy is used to a chilly house 8 months out of the year. 

I'm in a depressing patch of Dewey books.  It's called "The U.S. is going to hell in a handbasket" patch.  Books on the national deficit, outsourcing jobs to other countries, the evils of big box stores.  Depressing depressing depressing.  What makes no sense to me is that our country spends so much more than it takes in tax revenue.  People won't vote for new tax revenue, but they don't want services to be cut.  Something's got to give - cut spending, raise revenue, or a little of both!  Like most people who live in the general vicinity of big box stores, I tend to use them.  I don't go to W a l-M a r t, but for some reason I've justified in my head that the other big box stores are okay.  Yeah, W a l-M a r t IS really, really evil with their business practices, including strongarming vendors into submission.  The other big box stores are evil too though.  I want to spend less at them, but the thing is that I don't know where else to go.  Let's say I need dental floss.  I would go to T a r g e t to get it, along with the five other miscellaneous things on my shopping list because it's convenient to shop at one store and I know I'm getting it for a decent price.  So where else could I get my dental floss?  A grocery store (most of which are also big chains) or...?  I'm basically only left with big box stores.  If I wanted to buy local, I'm hard-pressed to even do that.  Depressing.


 

No comments: