Friday, October 15, 2010

Eat a whole cow or something like that

Tuesday was a bit odd because I unintentionally ate a lot of protein.  I ate 26 grams at breakfast, and then I ate a ton for lunch as well.  And guess what?  I didn't eat as much that day.  Go figure. 

Typically I just go from empty carb to empty carb all day long.  Add some protein in for a change, and it's like my body isn't as hungry as usual. 

Then I decided to look up how much protein I should be eating because one can likely infer that I normally don't get enough protein due to my love of carbs.  I seem to come up with a range of 60-140 grams per day from various internet sources.  Some sources cite a lower amount than others.  So I thought a good compromise might be to split the difference and aim for 100 grams of protein a day. 

Obviously the counting calories thing isn't working very well.  I have 10-15 pounds I want to lose (depending on the day), and I've been trying to lose these same pounds for, hmmmm, forever.  If I can just keep my protein intake high enough that perhaps I don't do empty calorie snacking, then that might be the long-term solution.  The theory being that if I have high protein foods throughout the day, I may not get so hungry and then make unwise choices.  Let's keep myself feeling full through protein instead.  I wouldn't mind eating more protein, but it tends to be harder to prepare than, oh say, Skittles.

I'm not forgetting the other side of the equation.  I do exercise.  I've been running this month, walking normally, I do aerobics/Pilates/toning exercises.  But there's really only so much I can burn in the 1-2 free hours I have a day.  As I've learned with various food/exercise experiments, limiting the food intake is where the magic happens for me. 

100 grams of protein a day = better go shopping for some high protein food. Oh, and I'm NOT doing supplements and protein powder and any of that.  I want to go for the more natural sources and learn how to maintain a higher protein level through eating for the long-term.  This will be a challenge since I'm not a meat fan. 

Back when I was pregnant, I'd eat chicken for breakfast all the time.  I woke up craving chicken, which was kind of weird.  And since cooking chicken takes forever at 7am, I would end up just buying a huge bag of chicken nuggets (I know, not the best source of chicken) and eat a buttload of chicken nuggets for breakfast.  I usually ate 15-20 chicken nuggets for breakfast.  Then for lunch I'd eat 3 beef tacos.  WTH?  I don't eat beef usually.  Hmmm... it was probably my body's way of demanding more protein at the time.  Probably wouldn't hurt to up the level now as well.

No comments: