Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kurt Cobain would roll over in his grave

Within iTunes, there's this neat feature where you can make a Genius Mix.  It will categorize your songs into six or so different categories. One of the categories it came up with for me is Grunge.  I did live in Seattle during the early 1990s, I owned at least 50 different flannel shirts and Doc Martens, but I really wasn't a grunge lover.  I usually favored hip hop and music with a beat.  I'm far more angsty now than I ever was as a teenager. 

So I was surprised when I got a Grunge category.  I was even more surprised when I saw what was in my Grunge category: Def Leppard, Journey, Heart, Poison?  POISON?  Glam 80s rock (Poison) could be mistaken for grunge?  Really?  I certainly think Def Leppard and Journey don't qualify as grunge either, but maybe they could stretch arena rock into grunge...somehow.  Heart? Well, those ladies were kind of pissed.

Maybe I am completely off base with my knowledge of grunge.  Flannel, Doc Martens, angst, Reality Bites, My So Called Life, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, no makeup, mosh pits... Maybe I missed the memo that Poison got nominated into the Grunge Hall of Fame.

Can you imagine what Kurt Cobain would think of being in the same category as Poison?

No comments: