Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Because"

I have become obsessed with figuring something out.

If you have a toddler, then you've heard of Blue's Clues. Even if you don't have a toddler, you might have heard about Blue's Clues. It's basically a 2D cartoon with one human actor in it who interacts with a cartoon Blue (the blue dog) and Magenta (a magenta dog), and they figure out preschool age puzzles together.  It started in the late 1990s, and the first human actor was Steve.  This is a picture of Steve.


Then Steve wanted to shed his wholesome image and start a rock band or something like that. So they had to replace Steve. Enter Joe.  This is a picture of Joe, and I think he looks like a young Jay Leno. 


Apparently Joe replaced Steve back in 2002.  I could have sworn it happened far more recently than that, but alas my memory is going and it really has been almost a decade that Joe's been at the helm.

Julia has been watching Blue's Clues through Netflix.  We started from the first season back when it was Steve.  So she watched 4-5 seasons of Steve, Steve, Steve.  Then we transitioned to Joe.  I would have laid money that she would HATE the switch from Steve to Joe. After all, she's my kid, and change of any kind hasn't gone so well with her in the past 3 years.

But something unexpected happened.  She kicked Steve to the curb in two seconds flat and wants nothing to do with him.  It's all Joe-Joe-Joe.  She only wants to watch Joe episodes, and she won't even tolerate a Steve episode now.

What's with all this Steve animosity? Or what's with all this Joe love?  I can't discern whether we're dealing with Steve hate, Joe love, or a combination.  I've been trying to figure it out for a month now by asking (hopefully) innocuous questions of my daughter. 

Me: "Why do you like Joe so much?"
Her: "Because"
Me: "Because why?"
Her (getting irritated): "BECAUSE"

Well, that got nowhere, multiplied by the 10 different ways I asked it. 


So I'm left to wonder WHY.  Has my daughter already figured out what type of guy she's attracted to? Does she just think Steve's a dweeb (ummm, maybe I'm interjecting my own thoughts there)? Does she like Joe's hair better? 

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

No comments: