Sunday, May 29, 2011

Worst job ever

A few days break from blogging.  Do you know what's sick?  I blog mentally as I go about my day.  My mind is just a constant rambling blog that would make completely no sense (instead of mostly no sense as my typed out blogs are) if a transcript was available.  This is exactly why I never will write that novel - I love blogging too much.  And my other writing obstruction is that I want to be completely up to date on my reading before I start writing, and as there are about 100,000 books at the library that I haven't read and want to read...well, it's going to take a while to go through those. 

Today we hosted a barbecue.  The weather was supposed to cooperate, but it didn't.  Ugh, Seattle.  I think it was warmer at noon than it was at 3pm.  Actually, I'm pretty darn sure of it.  I'm also pretty darn sure that it didn't exceed 60 degrees today.  And today was supposed to be the "best" day of the 3 day weekend.

I am exhausted.  We only had 10 adults and 6 kids here, but the added pressure of hosting and socializing are just too much for me.  I start getting a headache a few hours into it.  And I'm a sucky host.  I can either do tending to food distribution or socializing, but I can't do both.  My strategy is usually to set out as much as possible right before (although I usually still forget several things), and then try to put my efforts into socializing unless someone comes to me saying that we need something or ran out of something. Julia is pretty good, but she's really shy, so she wants to be held for hours on end.  Food distribution/tending to that stuff + socializing + lugging a toddler around who is less comfortable in her own house than her guests.  Ugh, I just am not good at it.  Both my husband and I are fundamentally introverts, and our daughter is even more of an introvert than we are.  This stuff doesn't come naturally, which means we don't want to do it, which means we get even less practice at it, which means we get even worse at it than we already are.  Vicious downward cycle.  Then afterward we need at least a day to recover/clean up and feel ready to tackle the days ahead.

Worst job ever for me: party planner

No comments: