Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Mullet / Dreadlocked Two-Fer

Back when I lived in Las Vegas and was a tween, I had a friend who lived next to Dino.  And you're like, "Who's Dino? The dinosaur in The Flintstones?"

Dino was a kinda popular musical fixture of the late 80s. I suppose it's all relative.  When you're 12-13 years old and there's a possibility that his video will come on VH-1 at 3am, then it's kind of like you know someone famous.  Even if all you do is stalk his house from your friend's bedroom window.  Right?

Tara and I were obsessed with Dino.  He was 30-ish, not particularly attractive, but the fame thing made him the best thing since sliced bread.  We could dream that he could wait for us to become legal, couldn't we?   What else were we going to do?  Play MASH for the umpteenth time and paint our nails?  There's only so many times you can do that, and spying on an almost legitimately famous person was So. Much. Better.

He was so semi-famous that he opened for New Kids on the Block.  If you think back to 1989, that was a big deal!

I couldn't sleep tonight and for some reason Dino popped into my head.  Check out this video.  First of all, I can't believe we were so enamored with him.  What in the heck is going on with his hair?  Half mullet, half dreadlocks on a white guy?  What WERE we thinking?  The clothes, don't get me started on the clothes.  But the hair is extremely captivating because I never remember the half mullet/half dreadlock hairstyle being popular.

FYI: He's the white guy about 40 seconds in with the weird microphone.  You can't miss him with that hairdo and all. 

3 comments:

Krista said...

I so do not remember Dino

Wendy said...

I'm not remembering this either. Either my selective memory has blocked this out or he just never got any airplay outside of the local market.

B said...

Not surprising since it's not like he was THAT popular. He got airplay in Vegas, but he was from Vegas and a DJ in Vegas. I think the technical term for his genre was freestyle, which is a Latin infusion into techno. Vegas had a large Latin contingent.

It's not like you all are missing anything.

I think his most popular song was this one, but I can't find the actual video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqURMdA_cpw