Monday, January 3, 2011

Finding the Fence

Happy first post of 2011!  A bit belated, but still...a first post it is.

I wish I could say that my short blog absence was due to a whirlwind vacation, winning the lottery, or flying to the moon.  Alas, my only reason for being gone was that I had, umm, nothing to talk about.  Literally.  Today is the last day of my two-week vacation, which I have spent playing, reading, taking naps, taking baths, cuddling next to the space heater, a little bit of yardwork, eating, watching movies, and being with my husband and daughter.  And all of that doesn't really irritate me.  It's been very, very relaxing. 

Today I spent some time in the backyard doing yardwork.  I made an impressive pile o' yard crap.  I had started today wanting to trim some ivy off the rock retaining wall.  You know, because it had completely overgrown and was touching the ground over the rock wall and was really thick.  Then I noticed this huge amount of ivy on what I thought was a fence only in theory.  It really looked like a wall of ivy that was six inches thick.  I kept clipping and pulling and clipping and pulling.  An hour later I found a fence, and surprisingly the fence was in fairly good condition for being completely wrapped in ivy for who know how many years.  I only cleared about 4 feet of fence; there's many more feet to go.  But hey, it's a start.

Then I cut and yanked out lavender.  There is SO much lavender in our backyard.  And I'm so allergic.  My allergies are better in the winter, so I could be out there for a little bit. 

My reward for all that work is seeing the pile of yard crap (i.e., ivy, branches, lavender).  Plus it feels good to have gotten a bit of a workout.  Clear some stuff in the backyard + an exercise workout = two birds with one stone.  I'm all about efficiency.

Off to my early bday dinner!

No comments: