Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Things that annoy me today

I don't like getting gas for the car.  It's a stupid endeavor, makes your hands smell, is just plain dirty, and I don't like it.  However, it's necessary.  And I'm not one of those women who won't pump her own gas.  That diva attitude even annoys me more than pumping gas.  Alas, I have to do it but don't like it.  I wish I could get gas once a year and just carry a sidecar full of surplus gas.  Maybe it would be a fire hazard, but it sure would be easier than stopping for gas 2x a month. 

So my philosophy on getting gas is to minimize the amount of times I have to obtain gas.  This means getting gas when the light comes on and filling the tank completely.  And try not to drive so much, but not much can be done about that because I have a pretty small commute as commutes go around here (8 miles).  

Today I had to get gas.  Of course, it ticks me off because a Subaru cut me off as I was approaching the gas station.  Yes, one of those lovely people.  She and I pull in at the same time.  We pay at the same time.  She pumps maybe 3-4 gallons of gas, and that's it.  Since we started pumping gas at the same time, mine was right about at the 3-4 gallon mark when she stopped.  Then she takes off. 

It doesn't even affect me, but it still annoys me.  Why only get 3-4 gallons of gas at one time?  My dad had that same philosophy.  He would only put $5 in the gas tank each time.  This was when gas was less than $1/gallon, but still....he drove a big ass van that got maybe 10 miles/gallon.  He ended up getting gas almost every day.  He had wads of cash in his pocket, but he would never put more than $5 at a time into his gas tank.  I suppose it's just a complete philosophical difference.  His goal (and perhaps the Subaru owner's goal) was to only be invested minimally in surplus gas for the car.  My goal is to minimize trips to the gas station. 

The other thing that really annoyed me today was when I was at the stupid bank trying to make a dang deposit.  I stood in line for 15 minutes (obscenely long just to make a deposit!) and saw quite an eclectic group of people.  I was right next to one of those personal banker people and could hear her conversation with a customer.  The customer was overdrawn and wanted to get more money out.  The banker was saying you don't have any money to take out, and the customer was increasingly getting more irritated.  I actually identified with the banker who is trying to nicely say that you can't make a withdrawal when your account is overdrawn.  I mean, it's only common sense, right? 

2 comments:

Krista said...

I don't get that either, I always fill up my tank.

B said...

Completely agree :)