Saturday, January 22, 2011

Getting into the Mental Groove

Even though I can't proclaim that I've lost any weight in the last, ummm, 2 YEARS, I do feel like I've attained a certain milestone.  I feel like I'm getting into that weight loss groove mentally.  For me, that's when things click.  It's the realization that I can't eat every dang thing I want, I've got to portion, I've got to surmount those mental demons I have if I ever want to get anywhere. 

It also helped that I went clothes shopping in the past day.  There are some awesome clearance deals going on.  I got 16 pieces of clothes at a few stores for a total of $55.  AND...the vast majority were work clothes.  I think all but 3 pieces are work appropriate.  Seriously, 13 pieces of work clothes for less than $50 is a killer deal. I didn't try anything on, so I just picked what I thought would fit by holding it up to me.  But still, new clothes help the whole outlook.

My exercise groove is continuing as well.  I have a lot of exercise equipment/DVDs, and I'm deciding to mix things up with various types of exercise and simply do what I want.  So some days are pilates, some tae bo, some are the kettlebell, some elliptical, some rowing.  I truly am enjoying that freedom and flexibility. 

I went out tonight with the girls to a bar.  I wore something I haven't had the confidence to wear in a while, and I did feel better/more confident.  I ate decently about an hour or two before, so I knew I wouldn't be that hungry.  I ordered a side dish (garlic toast), I was having a carb craving.  It was a small portion - even better. 

People watching in a bar is truly interesting.  The male/female interactions are fascinating to see - you know, the group of girls talking about the guy who is nonchalantly drinking at the bar.  He's trying to appear cool, but he's checking out various girls surreptitiously.  One of the girls from the group approaches the bartender by going next to the guy she's interested in.  She kinda bumps the guy, he starts talking to her.... I could have just observed the beginning of a fairytale, a one night stand, or just a 5 minute chat.  Who really knows.

People really are fascinating. 

No comments: