Friday, January 7, 2011

New Comfort Object

You know how I was saying that a 2.5 year old who rubs a pacifier is a little bit embarrassing?  (At least she doesn't do it in public anymore.)

Julia gets to take a comfort object to school every day.  This habit started when we stopped allowing her to take a pacifier for her naps.  At first it was her stuffed rabbit.  Then it became doggie.  It's kind of been rotating between the two of those.  If it's the stuffed rabbit, she usually also wants to bring rabbit's blanky.  Makes sense, I guess.  If she gets a blanky at naptime, her stuffed rabbit should too, right?  It's only fair.

Last night and today's comfort object?  A thermometer.  With its cover.  She lays there and rubs it.  A freaking thermometer.

What makes it worse is that she doesn't pronounce it right - it's some sort of hybrid of 'thermometer' and 'temperature' with a 'ch' at the beginning.  When she asks for her 'chermature,' my husband and I just look at each other like she's speaking Farsi. 

She took her chermature to school today for nap, and she wanted it in her lunchbox (which she calls 'backpack'...thanks Dora the Explorer).  I had to brief the daycare ladies on her comfort object, its mispronunciation, and its location because, well, I don't think anyone wants a nuclear meltdown when it's nap time and she's wailing about her chermature.

For the record, I think a chermature as a comfort object is more embarrassing than a pacifier.  Go Julia for getting us back!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I <3 your girlchild!

B said...

She sure is weird. And she's been bizarrely obsessed with Bon Jovi lately. Not that I mind because I like Bon Jovi too.

Wendy said...

I tell The Person that she is odd all the time...