Monday, January 31, 2011

All that work and a paltry 1.2?

January 1 I started getting serious.  I was going to become a lean, mean fighting machine this year (okay, I was going to lose 15 lbs and get kinda toned).  Except for my birthday week (a couple of times eating out, there may have been a few desserts), I've done well.  I've lowered my calories, upped my fruits and veggies, cut back on gluten...cheese has been harder to give up. 

I've worked out THIRTY times in January.  3-0.  I did a variety of workouts, including the elliptical and rowing machine.  I did a lot more strength training than I initially thought I would. I like strength training, it's a nice kind of hurt.  As I type, I've been going on 2 weeks of muscle fatigue in my arms.  I'm switching up the strength training, and try not to do it two days in a row, but I had to squeeze a few more workouts in this past week to make up for laziness earlier this month.  Anyway, the short story is that my arms are "fatigued." 

All of the above, and I'm down a measly 1.2 pounds in January.  Mind you, I gained 2 pounds over the Christmas break, so I'm still up 0.8 over December 15th. 

This seems so discouraging.  I know it's not all about the stupid number, but I would like to see some reward at the scale.  There have been a few benefits to my increased workouts and decreased food intake:

- My arms feel much more toned.  Like I could participate in an arm wrestling contest with someone under the age of 5 and actually win. 

- My breathing feels more efficient. 

Ummm, that's all, folks.  Hopefully I'll have more exciting news to report in February.  Like I am able to benchpress my weight and lost 129 lbs in one month. 

No comments: