Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gluten and Dairy-Free, Day 1 aka I survived

It's Day 1 (Sunday) of going gluten-free and dairy-free.  Miraculously, I have not killed anyone yet.  It will probably be Day 2 and Day 3 where I want to rob anyone with any morsel of chocolate or bread on them.  Or I could be working through my overdose yesterday at Vegfest.  Lots of food was to be had.  Toward the end of the 500 sample tables, I told my friend: "My stomach is at capacity."  It was likely beyond capacity at that point.

Best food at Vegfest: chocolate honey, organic fruit snacks (they were heavenly!), organic chocolate

Worst food at Vegfest: spinach juice.  It tasted like someone put spinach in a blender on high with a few trickles of water.

Jury's still out on the rice cheese.  It's good to know that I can eat cheese if I go dairy-free.  Rice cheese isn't exactly cheese though.  They even admit it's not cheese because they spell it "cheeze."

I read a book for book club yesterday and today.  It also included a grammar lesson.  Did you know that if you're referring to a person who is anorexic, the noun form of the word is 'anoretic.'  Google's telling me that's not spelled properly.  Hmmmph.  Anyway, the memoir of an anoretic talked about how she lived on 100-300 calories a day.  She didn't really 'live' well on 100-300 calories a day because she weighed 52 pounds at her lowest.  I should have read this book two years ago when my 14 pound child lived on 300-400 calories a day.  It would have made me feel a whole lot better.  Not that we should use the plight of an anoretic to feel better about our own situation, but at the time it would have given me a little perspective.

From memory, here's what I ate today:
2 cups strawberries
2 oranges
1 cup grapes
3 red potatoes with salsa
1 cup peas
1-2 servings rice crackers
6 oz tilapia
2 servings corn tortilla chips (basically just masa, oil, salt)

I'm not going to be counting calories or focusing on exercise in April.  I'm really going to be focusing on the new way of eating.  Sure, if I have time and the energy, I will definitely exercise.  However, the goal is to get into a new food rhythm that eliminates both gluten and dairy.

No comments: