Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Another Book

Yesterday I read a highly recommended teen fiction book: Hold Still by Nina LaCour.  What is it with the suicide books lately?  I read Thirteen Reasons Why last fall, then a buttload of non-fiction to keep myself focused on reality, and I'm back to yet another teen suicide book.  I think it's a topic I want to know more about, a topic I need to understand more. 

Why do I feel compelled to understand more?  I wish I understood the decision tree and thinking behind it.  I would hope that if I could see the signs, I would approach the person rather than not say anything, which almost implies tacit approval.

A lot of it also goes back to my consistent hope/wish to work with teens when I was an adult. Other people may dislike teens for their apathy, misdirected anger, and general angst.  When I see a teen, I see so much opportunity.  They are craving understanding, empathy, and acceptance.  For some reason, very few of them get to the point where they are secure in themselves and obtain what they're looking for.  But I tend to get through to them.  I don't know how or why.  I just think it's part of my calling somehow.  A way I can make things right in myself and a way I can (maybe) help others.  Still figuring out the best way to go about it.  

Even though both books have the same theme of suicide, the two books go about telling each story in different ways.  TRW is much more plot-driven, and HS is character-driven.  TRW is logical, HS is illogical to a certain point.  TRW focuses on the person who committed suicide. HS concentrated on the best friend.  HS is a harder read because the best friend reacts strongly by pushing everyone away and then it shows her journey back to being okay. TRW focused on motives, HS didn't really involve any motives other than depression.    

So many thoughts, but all for now.

No comments: