Friday, April 30, 2010

A girl can like grunge, but not too much

I love the 80s and hip hop. Put on some Prince or Tupac, and I'm in heaven. Add in some Snoop and Dr. Dre, and I'm even happier. Then I find one hit wonder gems like this on Youtube, and I'm in absolute heaven. Warning: I have no taste. I know this. It's purely *awful* music (or is it even music?), awful lyrics, an awful music video (way too many almost naked women, like the flannel and sports cars?) but I still love it:



And slightly less awful but along the same vein:



Yes, you can lecture me on the misogynistic lyrics and the vast amount of swear words, blah blah blah. I say this because I have listened to this crap for 20 years and I tell you to please count the number of times I have sworn in your presence (with the exception of my husband, not too many people should be able to attest to this). And there's not too many blackmail photos of me out there participating in really bad actions...

So there's the classic 80s music that I love, and most people can't really argue with that because the 80s was a fun genre. The 90s hip hop is kind of questionable. I get that.

However, there is a small part of me that is really taken with the brooding grunge/alt rock genre. I call it Prozac music because this stuff can depress you within 5 minutes of listening to it. I suppose not *really* depress you, but it makes you all brooding and contemplative and soon you're tying a flannel shirt around your waist, putting on Doc Martens, dying your hair black, and trying to decide whether you should pick Jordan Catalano or Brian Krakow...

Nirvana, 3 Doors Down, Candlebox, The Fray

The problem is that it's a very slippery slope. With every hour of continued listening of grunge/alt rock & I need an extra Prozac to get back. Or, since I've never taken Prozac, every hour of depressing music takes another viewing of the first video above to get back to normalcy. Yes, I use awful 90s hip hop videos instead of Prozac. You've heard of more insane things, right? I can't be the only one to use Youtube to cure my ills.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I've never heard either of those songs. They were from the 90's? Up until about 5 years ago, I was strictly a rocker chick. Especially 80's GLAM rock! Poison, Cinderella, Ratt....bring on the Aquanet and the thick blue eyeliner!
(I do confess to knowing every word to Get Low by Lil Jon tho)

Melissa said...

My husband spends entirely too much time on YouTube doing the same thing.

We totally have the same taste in music also. And I have to admit that I have influenced my son to like the same things. :)

B said...

LA, yep they were the early 90s. Horrible, horrible, but catchy. You're a glam rock fan, I was more of arena rock. Slightly less make-up: Def Leppard, Journey. We're still 80s gals, just wouldn't fight over the same guys. That's a good thing!

Melissa, I try to get Miss J to like the same music. It's still mostly a miss because Elmo still trumps.