Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A stressed out kid

I ♥ Thin Mints.  I've finally found a good substitute that's far less calories.  Jell-o Mousse Temptations in Chocolate Mint. All it's missing is the distinctive crunch of cookies.  I suppose I could dunk some chocolate graham crackers in it.  Will Jell-o find me today?  I'll be happy to take a case of it off your hands. 

Now I'm thinking about Thin Mints.  And free cases of Jell-o Mousse Temptations. 

It's been a challenging work week.  Not the work, but all the other crapola that comes along with it.  I try to stay out of drama and stick my head in the sand or put my fingers in my ears and say "la la la," but sometimes it seeps through anyway.

My sweet/diva (depending on the minute) daughter is beginning to figure this world out.  And her grasp of the English language keeps getting better.  This is a great combination because she's on a logarithmic learning curve, and reason is starting to evolve from her.  We still hear a lot of screaming from her; however, she usually apologizes for being a spastic mess over the fact that I opened her string cheese before she gave me authorization.   

What I'm particularly excited about is that we're starting to have actual conversations.  Like today, when she took off one of her socks and left it on the couch.

Me: Can you take this to the washer please?
J: Where's the washer?
Me: It's in the laundry room.  It's the machine that washes clothes.
J: I know the washer!
(She runs away with the sock and comes back a minute later.)
J: I did it!

Poor Miss J is highly anxious.  Just like me but worse.  If she drips a speck of food or drink on her table or herself, she freaks out and won't continue eating until the horrendous speck is wiped up.  She prefers to clean it up herself. The poor girl needs a perpetual feed of Xanax.  I tell her to "chill out" at least 10 times a day.  I'm tempted to get a prescription for Xanax myself and then mush the pills into her food. 

Today's anxiety attack of hers was because I was at the store, and S was getting ready to go to tae kwon do.  Usually I'm home when he's getting ready, and she knows that she stays with me when he leaves.  Since I wasn't home, then she got upset thinking that she would be left home alone.  Poor kid, how does she have so many abandonment issues when she was never abandoned for even a minute of her life?  A 2 year old shouldn't be stressed about being left home alone; it shouldn't even be a thought that crosses her mind since it's an adult's responsibility to figure it out.  After S explained that Mommy would be home soon, she calmed down.  I feel sad thinking about the weight on this little girl's shoulders.

I'm tired, so I'll be hitting the hay.  G'night!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Oy. Our girls have too much in common...

B said...

They're just like us.

Scrapping in Circles said...

Separation anxiety is totally common in 2-year-olds. Don't stress over it. The calmer you stay, the quicker she'll learn to be calm. I'm not a calm person, which is often reflected in my children. (=

Good luck!