Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A pretty invitation

WebMD said it would take 6 weeks for whooping cough to run its course. It's been 6 weeks. I'm ready for it to be over. NOW! Yes, I'm definitely having less coughing incidents now. It's probably about 5 a day instead of 40 a day. But still...those disgusting little bacteria need to get out since it's been the obligatory 6 weeks.

Julia's been under the weather. Not sure if it's teeth or what, but since I'm not 100%, it's been hard to deal with a whiny kid. Oh, the whining! The constantly changing her mind thing gets frustrating, particularly with food. I want a hot dog. No, no hot dog. I want yogurt. No yogurt. We try to make her finish the first thing she talked about, but then there's a full-fledged tantrum about the unfairness of it all, and remember that I'm cranky to start with. The screaming and whining then prompt me to down a whole handful of Tylenol while I wait her out. And the Daddy clingy behavior is getting out of control; "I want my dadddddddy!" After I got her to bed, I went directly to bed, collapsed, and don't even remember my husband coming home. I have a twinge of guilt that perhaps she didn't go to sleep and was screaming when he came home while I was in my coma and didn't hear her. I suppose if she was screaming and out of control, I would have heard her. Maybe. Or not.

Cousin's girlfriend who we met last month is throwing cousin a birthday party. She sent out really nice birthday invitations. Oh my goodness, she is trying hard. It's so easy to spot her goal of marrying the cousin.

S and his mom had a conversation about that whole situation because she hadn't gotten our side of the whole meetup last month. She pumped S's brother for info, but he's pretty useless at that kind of thing. Remember that he doesn't have room to talk since his wife is a basket case who kicked his parents out. And it was obvious to tell that S's brother was infatuated with the girlfriend. Seriously, I don't get men that can't see past that sort of thing. Crazy is attractive? Guess so.

S's mother seemed to be quite impressed that we assessed the whole situation from one meeting, and the family (her and her 2 sisters, one of which is the cousin's mother) agree that this girlfriend will do anything to get into the family. Really!? You have to be as perceptive as a rock to not completely understand. The cousin's mother is getting nervous about the whole situation and is thinking about cutting the cousin off financially until the girlfriend is gone. Get this...the cousin's mother is very suspicious that they're sleeping together. It's quite a shocker in this very Catholic family, and the two of us just say "well, duh" because it's kind of a "well, duh" thing.  But with S's mother and his two aunts in their 60s and 70s, this is THE news.  Now the three of them speculate that she's going to trap him with a baby.  I have to roll my eyes at the thought of these three sisters on the phone every day trying to plot how to get rid of this girlfriend.

I just did a little investigation via Facebook. The girlfriend graduated in '89, so that makes her almost 40. She's never been married. My take on it is that she desperately wants to be married, but I think the whole trap a man thing would have been a strategy already employed by now in her life if she was that desperate.  She doesn't work and lives with her mother.  I definitely think she wants to marry a rich man to 1) get out of her current housing situation and 2) to continue not to work. 

Now this brings me to the conversation that the cousin had with his mother, which of course made its rounds to S's mother and us.  The cousin says he will never marry her.  As much as I don't like this girlfriend, I think it's unfair to her to lead her on like that.  The cousin has been divorced for less than a year.  He can't handle his two kids by himself yet.  He has a hard time juggling work with his kids.  I get it that it's difficult.  So why can't cousin take a break from women and just focus on getting his life together?  Honestly having her as a girlfriend, or anyone for that matter, is a ton of work.  Focusing on his kids should be a higher priority, especially since one of the kids has special needs. Easy for me to judge from here, I suppose, and I will truly never understand what motivates a man.  Okay, I do understand the motivations.  But I'm freaking lazy.  Even if I was a guy, I wouldn't put up with a high maintenance woman like that just to get laid.  Or I'd like to think that I wouldn't.

I want everyone to be happy. but there seems to be a fundamental disconnect when one person wants marriage (and fast!) and one doesn't.  Seems like it makes the most sense for those two to have an honest conversation about what they want and realize that it's likely not the same thing so they continue to not waste each other's time.  But that's just me.

Back to this pretty invitation we got for the cousin's birthday party.  Seriously, it even outdoes some wedding invitations I've seen.  Of course we're not traveling to the east coast for it.  I mean, really!?  But it was nice that she sent an invitation, even if it was to "Mr. and Mrs. S. G."  Another way to piss me off is call me Mrs. S. G.  Yo, I have a first name!!!  I did not get assimilated into my husband when I got married.  Yeah yeah, I know it's the old style way.  Still hate it. 

It's raining here.  Weird after so many weeks without rain, or if it did rain, it was more that dark clouds would roll in & we'd get a downpour for a few minutes.  Now it's more the steadier rain.  Fall is coming!  My favorite season.  Soup season.  Pumpkin season.  Halloween season.  Gain 20 lbs and hide it under big sweaters season.  :)

G'night!


Mrs. S. G.

No comments: