Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Apparently there's a market for everything

Supply, demand, price is determined at the point these two curves intersect.  The demand curve slopes downward, the supply curve slopes upward.  Cocaine tends to have inelastic demand - people tend to buy that at any price.  As the price goes up for a "normal" good, demand tends to go down.  My professor for economics would be proud of how much I have retained in the past 15 years and how frequently I use economics in my daily life.

When I see something like this ad, my mind goes first to the simple economics of it.  Who would buy that?  Really - WHO would buy that?  Would you?  If you would, WHAT would you do with it?  I have a feeling that you wouldn't pay $250 or even the $500 that the seller wants.  If this was even free, I don't think you'd want it.  Maybe I'm just projecting though.  I think the demand curve for this item would be flat and would be at 0, regardless of the price. 

If there really was a market for such things, I think there would be applicants lining the streets, particularly if health benefits came along with the job. Can you just picture all of the enterprising applicants interviewing for the job?  These could be the new fall fashion line.  Maybe the world could be saved from Ed Hardy shirts and replaced with these.  And unemployment would go down!  It's a win/win.  Except for that whole demand thang...

No comments: