Monday, February 3, 2014

The post dedicated to good sleep

Sleep, elusive sleep.


I'm not a good sleeper. I like to sleep in theory, but in practice it just doesn't happen. There are a lot of reasons why, and they combine to ensure that I have had ONE good night of sleep in the past two months. Good night of sleep = go to bed at 10pm or before, sleep at least 8 hours continuously, and wake up decently refreshed. The parameters of the requirements are made such that they can be met on nights before workdays since my alarm is set for 6:08am.


Why does my sleep suck so much?


1. My natural tendency is to nap (a lot). Three hour stretches of sleep can give me another 10 hours of stamina. After three hours of sleep, I naturally wake up.


2. I am the lightest sleeper in the world. Husband turning over or mouth breathing wakes me up. Julia coughing. The creaks in the house. Wind. The digital clock turning to the next number--nah, but it feels like it. I have supersonic hearing and am constantly on edge.


3. My mind will not shut down (not that it's ever thinking anything important...it just goes and goes).  The constantly on edge thing is probably relevant. I hate those people who just close their eyes and are asleep a minute later.


4. My daughter is a crappy sleeper (who do you think she got it from?), so most nights she comes into our room and is "scared," and she climbs in--cue being kicked and slapped.


I'm jealous of the good sleepers of the world. I shake my fist at them all.

No comments: