Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Brain Atrophy

I just read a book about early-onset Alzheimer's.

When I was young, I always feared an epic cancer battle: lots of chemo, no hair, throwing up all the time, weak, ending in death. I still fear something like because it seems like a tedious, painful way to go.

Now I also fear Alzheimer's. Let's face it, 2 of my 4 grandparents had it, so I'm likely to get it. Some days I feel like I see signs of my impending mental doom. I'm starting to forget things. I've always had a horrible, horrible, horrible short-term memory. Now I'm starting to forget things that should be in long-term memory.

The most depressing example happened last week. I asked someone something, the person responded, and then a few hours later I forgot what the response was. At least I remembered that the person had responded. Not wanting to seem like the idiot I was, I hinted around the next day to try to get the person to repeat the answer by using a different angle. Luckily, it worked. However, it's a few days later, and I still can't remember the answer the person said the first or the second time.

I've been taking more notes. At work I'm forcing myself to write more things down. I'm using my computer to remind me of more things. I hope this is all just a sign that I'm being pulled in too many directions and just par for the course, and everyone else is experiencing these things too.

No comments: