Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Recipe for good sleep

I've read a lot of exercise advice, which was likely written by people who get up at 4am. They all advocate waking up at 4am and exercising first thing in the morning. They claim that you get it done early in the day, and then you're good for the rest of the day. If you exercise at night, it's apparently a sin. And then you stay up all night.

They also advocate running, but everyone I know who runs has knee problems. Coincidence? I think not.

I just want to say that, for heaven's sakes, do what works for you.

Last night I wanted to watch a movie. I popped it in, and then I decided to work on my newly-arrived, replacement elliptical. (By the way, it works a heckuva lot better than the awful one it replaced.) My logic being that if I could exercise while watching the movie, I would be multi-tasking and could maybe burn one or two cookies off.

I did the elliptical for 90 minutes, the length of the movie. The movie ended at 10pm. I got into bed and read 5 pages of my book before I felt too tired to continue. After brushing my teeth and whatnot, it was 10:10pm. I fell asleep right away and slept all the way through the night. Hallelujah!

A good night's sleep. Burning extra calories. No need to travel to a gym.

I ♥ my elliptical. And, no, I hate exercising in the morning. And I hate running.

3 comments:

Karin said...

Good for you! Do what works. And for the record my knee problems existed before i became a runner and haven't had a single dislocated patella in 5 years!

Wendy said...

I don't have the discipline to work out at home. I tried for a couple of weeks and lost interest. Kudos!

B said...

You both are my exercise inspirations!