Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why I Hate Painting the Basement

Why I hate painting the basement:

1. The old paint is so dark that it takes 2-3 coats to paint over it, versus everywhere else in the house where it only takes 1 coat. Why in the heck would you paint a basement such a dark color to begin with???

2. The ceilings are taller than on the other floors. I think they are 10 feet, versus 9 feet elsewhere. I know it doesn't sound like a big difference, but when you're standing on a stepstool, craning your head even more than usual does make a huge difference. My neck is killing me after 30 minutes of painting the upper wall and ceiling. I got such a neck ache that I only painted the lower walls, which is gonna suck tomorrow when I just have the high stuff left.

3. It is best to paint it when Julia isn't here. When she is here and awake, she wants to "help." And when she's asleep, the basement is so far away from her room that I can't hear her if something is wrong. So every 10 minutes or so I walk up the two flights of stairs to make sure I can't hear her. I know, get a monitor, you say. Well, it's kind of like never changing her in a public restroom. I'm not caving at this point.

No comments: