Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The odds are like meeting Mr. Right in a brothel

We like to do things around the house.  As much as we've learned how to do things over the years, there are some things that 1) we are not qualified to do or 2) we don't want to risk our lives or the house's structural integrity while we do it.

For instance, we don't do roofing.  Have you seen my house?  The roof has a frightening pitch to it, and in the back it's 3+ stories high.  I don't want to die by falling off my roof, neither does my husband.  Let's just pay someone to replace the roof.

It should be a relatively easy concept.  It is made even easier when the homeowner's association gives us a list of about 6 different types of roofs that we can get.  That's it.  We can pick the color (within reason), but ultimately there's a very short list of options.

We ask around, and it appears there is one roofing company that "works" the neighborhood.  It's the neighborhood roof prostitute, drumming up business through word of mouth and putting out their signs when they do a roof.  I check them out with the state, and they are 1) active (not suspended or expired), 2) the Department of Labor isn't out to get them for violations, 3) no one has successfully gotten a judgment/lawsuit out of them for shoddy workmanship and 4) the Better Business Bureau likes them.  They also seemed okay in person.  However, the estimate came in a little higher than I would have liked.  I mean, I knew it was going to be a nasty amount (like the amount for a nice new car and not a Kia kind of new car).  I just didn't think it was going to be in BMW territory.  I thought it would be prudent to get another estimate or two.  They always tell you to get 3 estimates. This is a lot of money and, after all, the roof of a house is a big deal. 

I mess around on the Department of Labor website to get other potential roofing companies.  I mess around on the internet trying to get other potential roofing companies.  As I learned in the old house, you must must must check businesses out in multiple ways to make sure everything is copacetic.  Just like you would a potential life partner.  Plus not everyone can install the few roofs that we can choose from.

Good thing that I haven't been dating after the evolution of the Internet.  See, here's what I would do if I met a man nowadays via a method where I didn't know already know all his details:

1 - Facebook: are there any, uh, "interesting" pictures there?  Like ones where he's in full uniform and pointing a gun to the camera or doing naked poses in the mirror or licking things off naked women?

2 - Driving record - any DUIs? suspended license? habit of running red lights?

3 - County record - garnished for child support lately (personal huge red flag, deadbeat dads are not attractive)? house in foreclosure (financial irresponsibility=additional red flag)? what kind of mortgage balance does he have?

4 - County record, part II - been married? still married? divorce official? (Obviously that's #1 in priority, but I thought that would be a given.  However, nothing is truly a given when dealing with some people.)

After all above checks out and he doesn't say anything to contradict the info (i.e., says he's never been married and has a marriage license filed) and if he's awesome in person, then I might consider him worthy of dating.  Yes, I am judgmental about who I will date.  It's my prerogative, as Bobby Brown would say. I don't want to have a relationship with anyone who is teetering on the edge of keeping it together.  I'm not that tolerant. 

And so there's a similar investigation on businesses/contractors that I do.

1. Properly licensed, bonded, insured?  Do you want to know how MANY contractors can't fulfill this?  Do you know how many have suspended licenses?  It's a crazy high number.  As I have made a complaint to the Department of Labor with no follow-up from them, I know it's hard to get the DOL to suspend a contractor.  There have to be lots of complaints about the same business. Take suspended licenses you see seriously. 

2. Presuming that the contractor is licensed, bonded and insured, how long have they been in business?  Preferably 5 years or more.  If it's less than a year, they may have been suspended previously and this is a new sham until discovered.

3. Is the Department of Labor after them for fines/warrants/unsafe working practices?

4. Are there any judgments against them (lawsuits they lost)? 

5. Does the contractor show up on time, answer questions professionally, seem knowledgeable?  This is the person you'll be working with.  If you already have doubts or conflict, perhaps he isn't the best contractor for the job.

6. Does the contractor follow through with the next steps (typically providing an estimate plus some more information) within the agreed-upon timeline? 

After much hunting, I found another roofing company that met Criteria 1-4.  Last Friday he came over to give an estimate.  He impressed me with Criterion 5.  I got so jazzed - it was like meeting Mr. Right!  I called my husband after the contractor left and told him how excited I was about how it went.  All that was missing was Criterion 6, which he said he would send me Friday night, and we'd be ready to rock and roll.  I was so jazzed.  And then I check my e-mail compulsively just like I had an awesome first date with an online match who checked through all my above dating criteria and who said he would contact me that night.  And of course...nothing.  My hopes get so high and become dashed by the end of the evening.  Then I start rationalizing, "Well, maybe he got busy....maybe he'll contact me tomorrow."  Yeah right.  More rationalizing.  "Maybe he got in a car accident."  So here it is now, and I still have yet to hear from him.

This is why I'd be a sucky dater.  Rational me would assume he doesn't like me, and oh well, his tough.  Buh bye.  BUT...I'm a desperate online dater, not completely rational, and I have no freaking other prospects....errrrr...roofing contractors except for the BMW one.  This potential other roofing contractor was the only one who made it through my "what may look elaborate but really isn't" criteria, and I don't want to settle for anyone sucky. Maybe he just got busy. Maybe he lost my contact info.  Maybe I should "remind" him that I still exist and haven't heard from him.

I'm still in rationalizing mode, if you can't tell.

No comments: